These are our favourite resources to study the early modern period. Here you can find the links to: websites and blogs specifically on food, online catalogues (some of them are by “free trial”) as well as other academic networks… an ocean of knowledge, enjoy!
Websites and Blogs on Food
Other Networks Webpages
Online Sources and Catalogues
This is a list of the core monographs, mostly related to food and medicine in the early modern period, which we use and are accessible to the English reader.
- Albala, Ken. Cooking in Europe 1250-1650. London: Greenwood Press, 2006.
- ___ Eating Right in the Renaissance. Berkeley University Press, 2002.
- ___ Food in Early Modern Europe. Westport: Greenwood Press, 2006.
- ___ The Banquet. Dining in the Great Courts of Late Renaissance Europe. University of Illinois Press, 2007.
- Belasco, Warren. Food. The Key Concepts. Oxford: Berg, 2008.
- Camporesi, Piero. Bread of Dreams: Food and Fantasy in Early Modern Europe, translated by David Gentilcore. Cambridge Polity Press in association with Blackwell, 1989.
- ___ The Land of Hunger, translated by Croft-Murray, Claire Foley and Shayne Mitchell. Cambridge Polity Press, 1996.
- Civitello, Linda. Cusine and Culture. A History of Food and People. Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons, 2008.
- Conrad, Lawrence et al. The Western Medical Tradition 800 B.C. to 1800 A. D. Cambridge University Press, 1995.
- Crosby, Alfred W. Jr. The Columbian Exchange. Biological and Cultural Consequences of 1492. Westport: Greenwood Press, 1973.
- Di Meo, Michelle, and Sara Pennell, ed. Reading and Writing Recipe Books, 1550-1800. Manchester University Press, 2013.
- Earle, Rebecca. The Body of the Conquistador. Food, Race and the Colonial Experience in Spanish America, 1492-1700.
- Flandrin, Jean-Louis, and Massimo Montanari, ed. Food. A Culinary History. translated by Albert Sonnenfeld. Columbia University Press, 1999.
- Gentilcore, David. Food and Health in Early Modern Europe. Diet, Medicine and Society, 1450-1800. London: Bloomsbury, 2016.
- Glacken, J. Traces on the Rhodian Shore. Nature and Culture in Western Thought from Ancient Times to the End of the Eighteenth Century. London: University of California Press, 1967.
- Goldstein, David. Eating and Ethics in Shakespeare’s England. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2013.
- ___ and Amy Tigner., eds., Culinary Shakespeare: Staging Food and Drink in Early Modern England. Pittsburgh: Duquesne University Press, 2016.
- Hailwood, Mark. Alehouses and Good Fellowship in Early Modern England. Woodbridge: The Boydell Press, 2014.
- Hankinson, J. Galen. On Antecedent Causes. Cambridge University Press, 1998.
- Holt, Mack P., ed., Alcohol: A Social and Cultural History Oxford: Berg, 2006.
- Laroche, Rebecca, Medical Authority and Englishwomen’s Herbal Texts, 1550-1650. London: Ashgate, 2009.
- Leong, Elaine, and Alisha Rankin. Secrets and Knowledge in Medicine and Science, 1500- 1800. Aldershot: Ashgate, 2011.
- Lindeman, Mary. Medicine and Society in Early Modern Europe. Cambridge University Press, 1999.
- Lloyd, Paul. Food and Identity in England, 1540-1640. London: Bloomsbury, 2015.
- Massimo Montanari. Cheese, Pears, and History in a Proverb translated by Beth A. Brombert. Columbia University Press, 2010.
- ___ The Culture of Food, translated by Carl Ipsem. Oxford: Blackwell, 1994.
- Muldrew, Craig. Food, Energy and the Creation of Industriousness. Work and Material Culture in Agrarian England, 1550–1780 Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2011.
- Overton, Mark, Jane Whittle, Darron Dean, and Andrew Hann. Production and Consumption in English Households, 1600-1750. Abingdon: Routledge, 2004.
- Pelling, Margaret. The Common Lot. Sickness, Medical Occupations and the Urban Poor in Early England. London: Longam, 1998.
- Pilcher, Jeffrey M., ed. The Oxford Handbook of Food History. Oxford University Press, 2012.
- Powell, Owen. Galen. On the Properties of Foodstuff (De Alimentorum Facultatibus). Introduction, Translation and Commentary by Owen Powell. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2003.
- Scholliers, Peter. Food, Drink and Identity Food. Cooking, Eating and Drinking in Europe Since the Middle Ages. Oxford: Berg, 2010.
- ___ and Fabio Parasecoli ed. A Cultural History of Food. Berg Publishers, 2012.
- ___ and Kyri Claflin ed. Writing Food History. A Global Perspective. Berg Publishers, 2012.
- Shanahan, Madeline. Manuscripts Recipe Books as Archaeological Objects: Text and Food in the Early Modern World. London: Lexington Books, 2015.
- Stobart, Anne. Household Medicine in Sevententh-Century England. London: Bloomsbury, 2016.
- Temkin, Owsei. Galenism. Rise and Decline of a Medical Philosophy. Cornell University Press, 1973.
- Thirsk, Joan. Food in Early Modern England. Phases, Fads, Fashions 1500-1760. London: Hambledon, 2007.
- Tomasik, Timothy J., and Juliann M. Vitullo, ed. At the table. Metaphorical and Material Cultures of Food in Medieval and Early Modern Europe. Turnhout: Brepols, 2007.
- Valenze, Deborah. Milk. A Local and Global History. New Haven: Yale University Press, 2011
- Woolgar, C. M. The Culture of Food in England, 1200-1500. New Haven: Yale University Press, 2016